The Processes on How to Wear a Patient Gown

I have read many articles on how to wear the basic traditional patient gown, again, still requiring the assistance of nursing personnel to either tie or snap the back of the gown. I believe this accounts for approximately 74% of the patient population. So what about the remaining 26% of patients that are medically complex that still need to wear a patient gown? These patients have a right to privacy and dignity just the same as any other patient. Just because patients have complex needs such as multiple lines and tubes, etc. does not mean they need to be exposed unnecessarily, but unfortunately it has become accepted practice because the traditional patient gown does not easily allow for care and treatment to be delivered to patients. Hospitals throughout the nation unintentionally expose patients during their stays because of the use of the dreaded traditional patient gown, as currently there is no better alternative. Multiple disruptions through out the day lifting and tugging at a garment that has rendered itself to be problematic day after day. Does anyone realize the process for wearing a patient gown is much DIFFERENT for those patients that are medically complex, debilitated, or bedbound? These patients are dependent on the clinical team to “drape” the gown onto the patient. More times than not, I would say the traditional gown may or may not even get tied or snapped due to the complexity of care that needs to be delivered to the patient. And the ugly truth nobody want to talk about…lines and tubes sticking out of the gown leaving the patients usually partially if not almost fully exposed at times. It happens every day as the traditional patient gown continues to not meet the current demands of complex patient care needs. There are many chronic patients in hospitals, skilled nursing care, long term acute care hospitals, etc. that need a specialty gown to meet the needs of patients with specific catastrophic conditions. We NEED an alternative high performing patient garment to meet the every day needs of a changing, highly complex and challenging medical environment. An opportunity exists to deliver care to this niche market. The time has come to change how we think about how care can be delivered through an innovative, pioneering, and newly designed patient gown called CII-Catatrophic Illness & Injury. A gown uniquely reverse engineered to open easily for care and treatments, a gown with increased motility creating efficiency in the clinical workflow, in addition to reducing risk to the healthcare workers for back injuries. To build a better patient gown means listening to the demands of the PATIENT population being served, observation of the PROCESS as it is remarkably different in this niche market so that we may arrive at a final PRODUCT and “breathe new life into an old project.” cii the SOLUTION. ©2016 Tracey L. Kennedy  “All Rights Reserved.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *